Tuesday, April 22, 2014

3

Banality is fascinating. Yes, that's essentially an oxymoron, but that doesn't make it any less true. The everyday is peculiar, strange, weird, absurd, crazy...you get the picture. That, coupled with my love for food (which I'm sure you've figured out by now), is the basis for this poem. In turn, the poem inspired (i.e., necessitated) a new design change for the blog: the page is 20% wider, and it's absolutely free for you!


A long line forms at the grocery store, with a parent and child in the cart, a large man holding a stack of baguettes, a
Woman wearing too-bright pink lipstick, and myself, just wanting to check out and hurry home.
The line crawls along, like the first vertebrates emerging from the sea, and the
Whining child carries its parent away, dreading the long car ride back.
I inspect my cart to plan the week’s meals.  Looks like
Pasta, tacos, and chicken are in store.  The line still
Creeps, and my stomach rumbles.  This always
Happens when I’m buying food.  Ah, finally
The line has ended, it’s my turn to pay.
That’s when I realized, “I forgot to
Pick up a bottle of ketchup.”
“Well sir, that’s back
On Aisle
3.”

No comments:

Post a Comment