Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Poem for You

Happy Valentine's Day!  In continuing with the tradition of posting stories related to holidays (see my Hanukkah story), here's a poem related to this holiday of love and greeting cards.


In other writing news, after a short hiatus, I have another story up on North by Northwestern!  You can read it here.  Thanks for reading!

I’d rather not write you a poem;
They’re corny and cheesy at best.
But if you insist,
I cannot resist,
So I’ll put my pen to the test.

Should it begin with the word love?
Or is that supposed to come at the end?
I’m really quite bad
At this love poem fad,
But for you I’ll work hard and bend.

Roses are red and violets are blue—
But that is much too clichéd.
Can I still say
Something new today?
Or has every thought been said and made?

I don’t often procrastinate,
But this love ode makes me delay.
I apologize
If I economize
And soon run out of verses to say.

Maybe it would be for the best
If I just shared my feelings with you.
Who am I kidding?
That’s too forbidding.
It would be easier to stage a coup.

You’ve either got it or you don’t
In this fine poem-writing game.
I will admit now
That I will kowtow
To the brilliant greeting card name.

Writing this won’t be worth the effort;
I don’t know why I’m still at it.
Perhaps I’m stubborn
Or afraid of scorn
That you’ll give me if I up and quit.

I can imagine what you’ll say
When I come to you empty-handed.
You’ll frown and then groan
At my lack of tone,
Then walk away and leave me stranded.

Yes, I’m positive that will occur
When I don’t write this poem of love.
So get over it now
And do not avow
I promised you anything thereof.

No comments:

Post a Comment